At the Olympic Games in Paris 2024, number of participants in 3×3 basketball will be 8 man’s national teams and 8 women’s national teams (64 athletes – the same number as in Tokyo 2020). There are 4 ways to qualify for the 3×3 Paris Olympics: federation ranking and 3 Olympic qualifying tournaments.
The 3×3 basketball Olympics competition will be held in Paris 2024 between Tuesday 30 July and Monday 5 August at Place de la Concorde.
The same principle of qualifying for the Olympic Games in 3×3 is used for both the men’s and women’s national teams. As the host, France gets one place at the Olympic Games in 3×3 and can choose whether to directly send a male or female team.
Phase 1: FIBA 3x3 FEDERATION RANKING
Top 3 federations (national teams) ranked in each gender on November 1, 2023.
– Includes at least a gender team from France (hosts) – Depending on which national team France chooses to send directly to the Olympic Games (man or women team) in that category, the 2 best federations by FIBA ranking will be qualified (instead of 3).
If the French women’s national team is in one of the top three places on November 1, 2023 (federation ranking), the French will send the men’s team to Olympics via the wild card. (currently, the French women’s national team is first in the 3×3 FIBA federation ranking, you can see it at the link below).
– Max. 2 from the same continent (Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Oceania) – Only 2 national teams out of 3 that qualify through 3×3 FIBA federation ranking can be from the same continent.
You can view the current ranking of the federation at the following link:
Phase 2: FIBA 3x3 Universality Olympic Qualifying Tournament 1 (UOQT 1) – Ranking Based
Eight teams per gender will participate in the first FIBA 3×3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Only winners will take a spot in the Olympics games (one man and one woman national team). This tournament should be in the 1st half of 2024.
– Includes the UOQT1 hosts (if not yet qualified) and the top 7-8 teams in the FIBA 3×3 Federation Ranking** (not yet qualified) that have not played in the last 2 basketball Olympic tournaments – The host of this tournament will get a wild card for this tournament if it has not already qualified for the Paris Olympics 2024. Other participants of this tournament will be federations whose teams have not participated in the last two Olympics games (Rio de Janeiro 2016 and Tokyo 2020) in basketball (5 on 5 or 3×3).
– Max. 4 from the same “zone” – A maximum of 4 national teams from the same continent.
Phase 3: FIBA 3x3 Universality Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2 (UOQT 2) – Cup Based
Eight teams per gender will participate in the first FIBA 3×3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2. Only winners will take a spot in the Olympics games (one man and one woman national team). This tournament should be in the 1st half of 2024.
– Includes the UOQT2 hosts and France as Olympic hosts (if not yet qualified) – The host of this tournament will get a wild card for this tournament if it has not already qualified for the Olympics 2024. Since both selections of the French national team will be qualified for the Olympics, you can ignore this second part of the rule.
– 1 team from each Zone Cup based on standings (not yet qualified to the Olympics) – Best teams from Euro Cup, AmeriCup, Asia Cup, and Africa Cup. That should be winners if they are not qualified for Olympics yet.
– Top 2-8 teams at the FIBA 3×3 World Cup 2023 (not yet qualified to the Olympics or the UOQT 2) – The best-placed teams from the World Cup, have not yet qualified for the Olympic Games. They will take spots, which are left free after the rules mentioned above, up to a total of 8 teams will participate on UOQT 2 (minimum two places, but there is a possibility that there will be more).
Phase 4: FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT)
The Olympics qualifier tournament will be organized in June 2024 and the best three teams (in both genders) from the tournament will qualify for the Olympic Games in Paris 2024.
– Includes the OQT hosts and France as Olympic hosts (if not yet qualified) – France will probably qualify for both genders.
– Top 14-16 teams in the FIBA 3×3 Federation Ranking** (not yet qualified) – Best teams by FIBA federation ranking on November 1, 2023, which are not qualified for Olympics yet.
– Max 10 of and minimum 2 from the same “zone” – “Zone” means continents Europe, America, Asia, and Africa. A maximum of 10 and a minimum of 2 national teams can participate from the continent.
The Olympic Games are the dream of every athlete, but also a goal for every federation. To qualify for the 3×3 Olympic Games, it was best to start your preparations yesterday. The next best moment is now, contact me if you need help.